Compare home insurance quotes

Why compare home insurance

Fill in one simple form, compare the quotes from up to 50 UK providers and you could save time and money.

You can compare home insurance from the UK's biggest brands

Compare home insurance in 3 easy steps

Provide information

Enter a few details about what you are looking for.

Compare quotes

Save money by comparing instant quotes online.

Apply online

You can then apply online and your application will be processed directly by the insurance provider.

Do I need home insurance?

While it isn’t a legal requirement in the UK, it is highly recommended for homeowners and strongly advisable for renters. Here’s some reasons why:

  • Provides financial protection for your property and your possessions
  • Safeguards your belongings
  • Provides personal liability coverage
  • Financial peace of mind
  • Home insurance often includes coverage for alternative accommodation
  • Can be tailored to your needs

Types of home insurance

Buildings insurance

This type of insurance covers the structure of your home, including the walls, roof, floors and permanent fixtures like kitchen and bathroom fittings.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers your personal belongings inside your home, including furniture, electronics, clothing, jewellery, and other valuables.

Combined insurance

This is a comprehensive policy that combines both buildings and contents insurance.

Tenant insurance

If you're renting a property, this covers your personal possessions against theft, fire, and other risks, but it doesn't cover the building itself.

Landlord insurance

If you are a landlord, you can purchase landlord insurance, which provides coverage for the structure of the building and may also include coverage for loss of rental income, liability protection, and contents (if you are renting a furnished property).

High-value home insurance

This type of insurance is designed for homes with higher values and includes coverage for high-value items such as art, antiques, and jewellery.

What does home insurance cover?


Damage to the structure of your home.


Events like fire, flood, storm damage, vandalism and subsidence.


Rebuilding or repair costs, including labour and materials.

Personal belongings

Theft, damage, or loss of possessions due to covered events like burglary, fire and water damage.

Temporary accommodation

Coverage for the cost of temporary accommodation if your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event.

Wear and tear

Wear and tear, aging, or lack of maintenance.


Events such as earthquakes, landslides, accidental damage or acts of terrorism.

High value items

Any high value items that you own may not be covered in your policy.

Failure to disclose

Failure to disclose accurate and relevant information may lead to claims being denied.


If you run a business from your home, you may need separate business insurance to cover your business-related equipment and liabilities.


If you're subletting a portion of your property, standard home insurance may not cover certain risks associated with subletting.

What affects the cost of home insurance?

The cost of home insurance in the UK is influenced by various factors, and insurance providers consider these factors when calculating premiums. Key factors that can affect the cost of home insurance in the UK include type of coverage, property location, value, age and condition, security measures, claims history and your age, occupation and lifestyle.


Need more help?

Older properties may have higher insurance premiums because they can be more susceptible to damage. However, factors like location and the condition of the property also play a role.

You can usually make changes to your home insurance policy. If your circumstances change, such as home renovations or acquiring valuable items, contact your insurer to update your coverage accordingly.

While you don’t need buildings insurance if you’re a tenant, it’s advisable to have contents insurance to protect your personal belongings. Landlords may also require tenants to have insurance.

If you need to make a claim, contact your insurance provider as soon as possible. Provide all necessary information and documentation, such as photos and receipts, to support your claim.

You can usually cancel your policy, but there may be cancellation fees or terms and conditions to consider. It’s important to review your policy’s cancellation policy and check with your insurer.

Recent guides & articles

*51% of consumers could save £201.06 on their Home Building & Contents Insurance. The saving was calculated by comparing the cheapest price found with the average of the next fourteen cheapest prices quoted by insurance providers on Seopa Ltd’s insurance comparison website. This is based on representative cost savings from January 2024. The savings you could achieve are dependent on your individual circumstances.